- The content will be exactly what you want it to be and will match with your course and course curriculum. Ready-made content often times is related to the subject but may not be exactly what your want to convey. The ready-made content may be too advanced or too simplistic for your audience and can leave students either confused and uncertain or bored.
- Creating your own content is an excellent way for students to get connected to the instructor and/or course. This is especially important for an online course.
- The instructor can employ pedagogy by creating content.
- We all have knowledge of ready-made content produced by textbook publishers. One example is Power Points. Power Points that are ready-made rarely align to the audience. I always find myself adding, deleting, and modifying such ready-made content.
- Using your own content allows the instructor to really hone in on the learning points.
- There is never enough time in the day and creating content takes time.
- Subject matter may require significant research, again, taking large chunks of time out of one’s day.
- Content created by others rarely contain errors. Conversely, it is extremely important to check and double-check your content to make sure it is error free.
- Ready-made content can be richly developed using advanced editing tools and graphics.
- Sometimes, it is simply impossible to create content that can compare to ready-made content. A single instructor simply does not have the resources that others may have, i.e., large publishing companies.