The Fourth Amendment
- Watch “The Fourth Amendment Explained: US Government Review” on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_3c5lqYAl8
- Answer the following questions/perform the following tasks:
- Write out the Fourth Amendment
- What does the Fourth Amendment primarily deal with?
- Why did the framers of the Constitution come up with the 4th Amendment?
- What constitutes search and seizure?
3. Case law look-up: Select a minimum of two cases to look up and post 2-3 paragraphs describing the case background and significant to law enforcement.
- Mary v Smith
- Weeks v. US
- Mapp v. Ohio
- Terry v. Ohio
- Katz v. US
- US v. Leon
- Nix v. Williams
- NJ v TLO
- KYLLO v. US
Select two of the following questions to research. Post 1-2 paragraphs describing the application of the 4th Amendment and the impact upon law enforcement.
- Can the police put a GPS on your car?
- Can the police bring a drug-sniffing dog to your front door to establish probable cause to search?
- Is the NSA’s data collection a violation of your fourth amendment?
- What impact did 9/11 have on government search and seizure actions?
- What is the impact of NJ v. TLO on privacy in schools?